Although many wipes are labeled "flushable," they do not break down and can clog your pipes or ours. The sewer system and wastewater treatment plant were not designed to handle wipes and they gum up the system costing our ratepayers more in maintenance costs. If you use wipes, please put them in the trash, not the toilet!
- The Cost of Wipes on America’s Clean Water Utilities
- EPA Encourages Americans to Only Flush Toilet Paper
- California Assembly Bill 1672 Fact Sheet
- California Assembly Bill 818 Fact Sheet
- ‘Flushable Wipes’ Are Causing Costly Problems in MCWD’s Sewer System
- Wastewater plants being clogged by so-called "flushable" wet wipes
Pharmaceuticals in the Water
Don't flush your unused medications down the toilet. They can end up in our groundwater! Bring your medications to a drug takeback location and they will safely dispose of nearly all drugs free of charge.